Quarry "Steekaul Beaufort"

mullerthal jm 06457

Favourite

Quarry "Steekaul Beaufort"

Show favourites

Description

Some layers in the Luxembourg sandstone are well suited as rubble and ashlar. In the quarries of Beaufort and Dillingen, the rock was mined from 1835 to the mid-1970s. At the beginning of the 20th century up to 100 people worked there, meaning that the quarries had a high economic value for the region. The sandstone mined there was used locally and nationally, but also across national borders for various buildings. It became window frames, tombstones but also bridges and larger parts of buildings such as parts of the Echternach Abbey. The sandstone from the quarry near Beaufort was transported down to Grundhof in the Sûre valley with the help of a narrow-gauge railway. It had to surmount a large difference in altitude so that the narrow-gauge track has a route with three hairpins. Along the way, aisles were cut across the gaps into the rock. Arrived at the bottom, the material was then reloaded onto the "Prinz-Heinrich-Bahn", the railway in the Sûre valley.
The quarry has a great importance for nature conservation today. The sunny rock faces provide ideal habitats for wall lizards and wild bees.
The former quarry can be hiked on the nature trail "Mensch und Stein" and is located on the ExtraTour B of the Mullerthal Trail. Parking is available in Beaufort.

Tours & Guided Tours

Click to launch google map

Address

Route de Beaufort
L-6350 Beaufort
Tel.: +352 72 04 57 1
Fax: +352 72 75 24


Share this page

Favourite

Quarry "Steekaul Beaufort"

Show favourites

In the surrounding area

B&B Berdorfer Eck

Where : Berdorf

7 Comfortable and quiet guest rooms in the center of Berdorf. The different...

img 9879

B&B White Pearl

Where: Christnach

29, Loetsch

L-7640 Christnach

T. +352 83 66 30

www.white-pearl.lu

B&B Villa des Dames

Where: Larochette

24, rue de Medernach

L-7619 Larochette

T. +352 691 31 66 91

www.villadesdames.com